Monday, November 10, 2008

Biceps Workout 0005

I choose to use free weights at home as opposed to machines, etc. at a gym for the following reasons:

- A set of assorted weights, a barbell or two, and a bench is a once only cost. I purchased my lot about 20 years ago. They don't really ever wear out, so apart from a few paint chips on the weights and I had to re-upholster the bench at one stage, that's all I really need. I do have a chin up bar/dip combo but haven't used it for a while. I spent about $350 twenty years ago. Add up the gym fees over that time - no comparison, results? pretty much the same I should imagine.

- No travel time to and from a gym or going out on cold nights.

- No waiting in line at busy times to use equipment.

- No annoying instructors constantly trying to tell you how to do it.

- Free weights are a more natural way of working out. Closer to real life where you may have to pick up and carry things.

- Using free weights always involves all of your body to some degree as opposed to sitting in a machine and isolating a muscle group - again much more natural.

- I've never been much for crowds - I like my own space - and I've never really missed a training partner (I know when the last rep has arrived).

I know that somewhere there will be a list of at least as many reasons to use machines and gyms, but for me, the convenience of doing it at home in my spare room for next to nothing in cost and at a time convenient to me wins every time.

Adjustable Bar Biceps Curls.

20.0 kg (44.1 lb) x 10 reps (10)
22.5 kg (49.6 lb) x 9 reps (9)
25.0 kg (55.1 lb) x 8 reps (8)
27.5 kg (60.6 lb) x 7 reps (7)
30.0 kg (66.1 lb) x 6 reps (6) *
32.5 kg (71.7 lb) x 5 reps (5) *
35.0 kg (77.2 lb) x 4 reps (4) *
20.0 kg (44.1 lb) x 16 reps (16) *

Leg Curls.

20.0 kg (44.1 lb) x 20 reps (20) *
20.0 kg (44.1 lb) x 14 reps (20)
15.0 kg (33.1 lb) x 20 reps (20) *

"As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler, solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

Next time - chest.

No comments: