Monday, September 29, 2008

Injury time-out

Yep, you guessed it - hurt myself. Not working out either. I was helping my son move to a new house he has bought in the hills to the north of us. Picked up his clothes dryer from his garage. Carried it out to the truck. Got it into the back and had to lift it over something else to get it to the right spot, sitting on top of his workbench.

As I turned and had the dryer at head height I must have moved too quickly and felt my muscles tearing in my forearm. Nasty feeling! Didn't drop the dryer though! Got it into it's spot.

Tell the truth my arm wasn't that sore at the time so I was able to be of help for most of the rest of the day, but, by night time I knew I had really hurt myself.

Anyway, the point here is that, from time to time you are indeed going to suffer injuries that will stop your workouts dead in their tracks. Not to worry though. Look at it as time to let your joints and all the rest of your body have a rest. I will be out of it for a couple of weeks.

This will not be a problem. I will be able to restart pretty much from where I left off. Always make sure that your first one or two workouts after resuming are light weights - high reps to ensure you don't bump yourself back to square one by being too impatient.

"Learn the art of patience. Apply discipline to your thoughts when they become anxious over the outcome of a goal. Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness, and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success." - Bryan Adams

Watch for the next post in a couple of days.

No comments: